New Horizons Security IT Associate Program validates an individual’s technical competency in IT security. Students will learn to analyze, test, troubleshoot and evaluate existing network systems — such as local area networks (LAN) and wide area networks (WAN) — as well as perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
Security IT Associate Program Details
Computer Network and Security
This course expands existing user-level knowledge and experience with PC software and hardware, and introduces fundamental skills and concepts. Network fundamentals are also introduced with extensive coverage of network models, media and IP Addressing. Finally, foundational skills in security are covered by introducing students to different security threats, cryptography fundamentals, security policies and risk management.
This course includes select content from the following publicly scheduled courses.
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
After successfully completing one of our programs, you may qualify for the following career opportunities.
- Computer Specialist
- Security Specialist
- IT Security Analyst
- Network Security Technician
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of IT Security Associates is projected to grow 18 percent through to 2024.
Common Job Responsibilities
Companies cannot survive without effective IT security. Organizations need a way to detect incoming threats, remediate security issues and develop policies that limit the risk of future breaches, and employees with knowledge gained from reputable cyber security training programs are valuable assets to any team. Considering a career in IT security? Common job responsibilities include:
- Creating and implementing plans, systems and procedures to prevent malicious and inadvertent use of data
- Training users on security measures, and monitoring data access to limit the chances of an accidental breach
- Reviewing information on viruses and ensuring virus protection is in place
- Assessing risks of data exposure, validating that security systems are in place and conducting regular tests to ensure they work as intended
- Providing expertise on application development project teams to ensure applications comply with the organization's information security standards