This Privacy Statement (the "Statement") sets out how NH Learning Solutions Corporation, also known as New Horizons Computer Learning Centers, and its subsidiaries (collectively “NHLS”, “we” or “us”) collect and use the personally identifiable information of our website users, members, class attendees and other users of our websites and services (each a "User", "you", "your", etc.). By using our services and, where applicable, by providing consents for specific purposes, you consent to the use of your data as described in this Statement.
Collection of Personal Information
When you use our products and/or services, we collect personally identifiable information, such as your e-mail address, first and last name, position, employer details, home or work address or telephone number and other information. We also collect anonymous demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your ZIP code, gender, preferences, interests and favorites.
Most of the above mentioned information will constitute "Personally Identifiable Information" or "Personal Data", depending on the extent to which such information is protected by privacy or data protection laws in the relevant country. We do not collect or process “Sensitive Personal Data”, which includes data regarding your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, criminal history and data concerning your health, sex life or sexual orientation. Please keep in mind that if you directly disclose Personally Identifiable Information or Sensitive Personal Data through our public discussion or message boards, this information may be collected and used by others.
When an individual engages with our website because their employer has signed up as a purchaser of our products or services, then:
- the user’s employer is the data controller with respect to the user information it provides to us. This information typically includes first name, last name, and business email address. Where your employer is data controller in this way, we act as a data processor under data protection laws, meaning we use the information to provide a service to your employer;
- NHLS is the data controller for information provided directly by the individual or as a result of interacting with the website, including assessment data, a secondary email address, additional profile details such as job title, personal website URL, a short bio, social platform handles, and demographic information such as your gender, year of birth, and your work industry. To be clear, none of these additional profile details are required to utilize our Site, but we can offer you an enhanced experience if you provide it.
- When an individual signs up as a user of the website via an individual plan, NHLS is the data controller for all personal information provided by that user and collected by the website as the user accesses and uses it.
Use of Personally Identifiable Information
We consider your Personally Identifiable Information to be a vital part of our relationship with you and do not sell your personal information to third parties. We will only process your Personally Identifiable Information, in accordance with applicable law, for the following purposes:
- to operate our websites and deliver all of our products and services you have requested, including, without limitation, our custom training, custom portals, on-demand training, NHGO NOW®, Power Hour training, Quick Reference Cards (QRCs), Solution Spotlights and room rentals which you use;
- sending you personalized marketing communications to inform you of other products or services available from us and our affiliates, exhibitors and partners;
- to contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current products or services, or of potential new products and services that may be offered;
- responding to your queries;
- confirmation of registration or purchase;
- to create marketing materials including images or video footage of you as an attendee of our classes;
- to verify with third party testing centers your attendance and the results of your exams, if applicable;
- handling any job application that you may make to us;
- enabling our suppliers and service providers to carry out certain functions on our behalf, including statistical analysis, verification, technical, logistical or other functions;
- ensuring the security of our business, preventing or detecting fraud or abuses of our website;
- developing and improving our products and services, for example, by reviewing visits to our website and its various subpages to ascertain demand for specific content; and
- to comply with applicable law, for example, in response to a request from a court or regulatory body, where such request is made in accordance with the law.
We may combine your Personally Identifiable Information with information we receive from other sources in our legitimate interests for the purposes set forth above.
The legal basis for us processing your Personally Identifiable Information for the purposes described above will typically be because you have provided us with your consent. However, we may also rely on other legal grounds, for example, where the processing is necessary:
- to fulfil a contract that we may have in place with you;
- for the legitimate business interests of us and our affiliates or partners; or
- for compliance with our legal obligations.
You may opt-out of our email marketing lists by following the directions at the bottom of our emails. To remove a specific postal or email address from all of NHLS’s marketing communications, you may send a request to email@example.com. If you are contacted by affiliates or our partners please opt- out with them directly and where such request is received by us, we will endeavor to pass on to such partners. Opting-out of promotional mailings will not affect delivery of your subscription-based products.
Our website uses "cookies" to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your computer's hard disk, mobile phone or other device by a web page server. Cookies do not damage your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
We use several types of cookies on our website:
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided. They are deleted when you close the browser.
These cookies collect information in an anonymous form about how visitors use our website. They allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and help us understand which pages are the most popular and where visitors spend most of their time.
These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make, such as your name, the region you are in or the pages you have viewed. They are used to provide enhanced and more personal features.
If you personalize our pages, or register with our website or services, a persistent cookie helps us to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to our website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the features that you customized. Persistent cookies will be kept on your device until their expiry or manual deletion.
Targeting or advertising cookies
These cookies allow us and our advertisers to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. They remember that you have visited our website and may help us in compiling your profile.
Social Media cookies
These cookies allow you to connect with social media networks such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.
We may also use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, to administer our website and to improve the service we offer to you. An IP address is a numeric code that identifies your computer on a network, or in this case, the internet. Your IP address might also be used to gather broad demographic information. We may perform IP lookups to determine which domain you are coming from to more accurately gauge our Users' demographics.
Information from these types of cookies and technologies or about website usage may be combined with information about you from any other source.
Your consent to place cookies
We assume that you are happy for us to place cookies on your device. However, if you, or another User of your device, wish to withdraw your consent at any time, you have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of our services or the websites you visit.
When you arrive on our website a pop-up message will appear asking for your consent to place advertising cookies on your device. In order to provide your consent, please click on the button in the pop-up message. Once your consent has been provided, this message will not appear again when you revisit. If you, or another User of your computer, wish to withdraw your consent at any time, you can do so by altering your browser settings.
Disclosure of your Personal Data
There are circumstances where we wish to disclose or are compelled to disclose your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties. This will only take place in accordance with the applicable law and for the purposes listed above. These scenarios include disclosure:
- to our subsidiaries;
- to other Users or the public as you may request using our interactive services, or as is necessary in order to resolve any disputes in relation to your contributions to our websites and services;
- to our outsourced service providers or suppliers to facilitate the provision of our services, for example, the disclosure to our database hosting provider for the safe keeping of your Personally Identifiable Information, webhosting provider through which your Personally Identifiable Information may be collected;
- to third party testing centers to facilitate your attendance of exams, if applicable;
- to third party service providers and consultants in order to protect the security or integrity of our business, including our databases and systems and for business continuity reasons;
- to another legal entity, on a temporary or permanent basis, for the purposes of a joint venture, collaboration, financing, sale, merger, reorganization, change of legal form, dissolution or similar event. In the case of a merger or sale, your Personally Identifiable Information will be permanently transferred to a successor company;
- to public authorities where we are required by law to do so; and
- to any other third party where you have provided your consent.
International transfer of Personal Data
We may transfer your Personally Identifiable Information to a third party in countries outside the country in which it was originally collected for further processing in accordance with the purposes set out above. In particular, your Personally Identifiable Information may be transferred throughout our group and to our outsourced service providers located abroad. In these circumstances we will, as may be required by applicable law, ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate technical, organization, contractual or other lawful means.
Retention of Personal Data
Your Personally Identifiable Information will be retained for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purposes listed above or as required by applicable local law. We may keep an anonymized form of your Personally Identifiable Information, which will no longer refer to you, for statistical purposes without time limits, to the extent that we have a legitimate and lawful interest in doing so.
Security of your Personally Identifiable Information
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational measures in accordance with industry standards to safeguard your Personally Identifiable Information. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol. However, no security measure is completely secure (e.g. from malicious intrusion) and we are unable to guarantee complete security of your Personally Identifiable Information.
In order to improve the security of your Personally Identifiable Information and your User account, we would advise that you must choose a strong password to protect your account information and to change it regularly at reasonable intervals. Furthermore, you must exit from your User account at the end of each session, not allow your browser to save your login details and secure and limit access to your personal devices.
We may monitor your use of our websites and services, including our interactive and communications services by intercepting, blocking, recording or otherwise accessing systems whether on a continuous or occasional basis, as permitted by applicable law. For example, where allowed by applicable law we may monitor the content of any messages sent to your User account by another User or external party and how your devices access our websites and services.
We monitor in order to ensure compliance with our legal obligations and good practice, your compliance with our Terms and policies, to gather information as part of investigations by regulatory bodies or in connection with legal proceedings or requests, to ensure confidentiality of commercially sensitive information, to operate firewalls, prevent viruses, malicious code and the downloading or use of executable software code, to prevent the downloading, copying, distribution or other use of obscene, offensive or illegal material (such as pornographic, racist or other discriminatory content), to restrict access to third-party websites, blogs and bulletin boards in accordance with applicable systems use policies, and to prevent unauthorized access and modifications to our systems.
You should have no expectation of privacy when using our services, including our interactive and communications services, because it will be subject to monitoring as set out above. However, we will comply with local laws in relation to your privacy.
Links to other websites
You should be aware that when you are on our website, you could be directed to other websites that are beyond our control. There are links to other sites from our website that may take you outside our service. We cannot guarantee that the privacy statements of these websites meet our standards. As always, we recommend reading the privacy statements of any new website you go to online.
Your rights and updating your Personally Identifiable Information
In certain countries, data protection law provides individuals with numerous rights, including the right to access, rectify, erase, restrict or object to the processing of, their Personally Identifiable Information. For more information about your rights, including your right to lodge a complaint, please visit the website of your local data protection authority.
If for any reason you wish to access, review, correct or delete the Personally Identifiable Information collected about you, you may do so by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. You must be able to provide sufficient proof of your identity. Once identified, we will be happy to review, update or remove your information, as appropriate.
Please note that this website is not intended for children under the age of 18.
Changes to this Statement
We will occasionally update this Privacy Statement to reflect company and customer feedback. We encourage you to periodically review this Statement to be informed of how we use your information.
If you notice any unlawful use of Personally Identifiable Information or if you believe that we have not adhered to this Statement, we would be grateful if you would notify us by email to email@example.com.