This course covers the duties of those who are responsible for monitoring and detecting security incidents in information systems and networks, and for executing a proper response to such incidents. Depending on the size of the organization, this individual may act alone or may be a member of a cybersecurity incident response team (CSIRT). The course introduces tools and tactics to manage cybersecurity risks, identify various types of common threats, evaluate the organization's security, collect and analyze cybersecurity intelligence, and handle incidents as they occur. Ultimately, the course promotes a comprehensive approach to security aimed toward those on the front lines of defense.
This course is designed to assist students in preparing for the CyberSec First Responder™ (Exam CFR-310) certification examination. What you learn and practice in this course can be a significant part of your preparation.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed primarily for cybersecurity practitioners who perform job functions related to protecting information systems by ensuring their availability, integrity, authentication, confidentiality, and non-repudiation. This course focuses on the knowledge, ability, and skills necessary to provide for the defense of those information systems in a cybersecurity context, including protection, detection, analysis, investigation, and response processes. In addition, the course ensures that all members of an IT team—everyone from help desk staff to the Chief Information Officer—understand their role in these security processes.
In this course, you will assess and respond to security threats and operate a systems and network security analysis platform.
Assess information security risk in computing and network environments.
Analyze the cybersecurity threat landscape.
Analyze reconnaissance threats to computing and network environments.
Analyze attacks on computing and network environments.
Analyze post-attack techniques on computing and network environments.
Implement a vulnerability management program.
Evaluate the organization's security through penetration testing.
Collect cybersecurity intelligence.
Analyze data collected from security and event logs.
Perform active analysis on assets and networks.
Respond to cybersecurity incidents.
Investigate cybersecurity incidents.
1 - Assessing Information Security Risk
- Topic A: Identify the Importance of Risk Management
- Topic B: Assess Risk
- Topic C: Mitigate Risk
- Topic D: Integrate Documentation into Risk Management
2 - Analyzing the Threat Landscape
- Topic A: Classify Threats and Threat Profiles
- Topic B: Perform Ongoing Threat Research
3 - Analyzing Reconnaissance Threats to Computing and Network Environments
- Topic A: Implement Threat Modeling
- Topic B: Assess the Impact of Reconnaissance
- Topic C: Assess the Impact of Social Engineering
4 - Analyzing Attacks on Computing and Network Environments
- Topic A: Assess the Impact of System Hacking Attacks
- Topic B: Assess the Impact of Web-Based Attacks
- Topic C: Assess the Impact of Malware
- Topic D: Assess the Impact of Hijacking and Impersonation Attacks
- Topic E: Assess the Impact of DoS Incidents
- Topic F: Assess the Impact of Threats to Mobile Security
- Topic G: Assess the Impact of Threats to Cloud Security
5 - Analyzing Post-Attack Techniques
- Topic A: Assess Command and Control Techniques
- Topic B: Assess Persistence Techniques
- Topic C: Assess Lateral Movement and Pivoting Techniques
- Topic D: Assess Data Exfiltration Techniques
- Topic E: Assess Anti-Forensics Techniques
6 - Managing Vulnerabilities in the Organization
- Topic A: Implement a Vulnerability Management Plan
- Topic B: Assess Common Vulnerabilities
- Topic C: Conduct Vulnerability Scans
7 - Implementing Penetration Testing to Evaluate Security
- Topic A: Conduct Penetration Tests on Network Assets
- Topic B: Follow Up on Penetration Testing
8 - Collecting Cybersecurity Intelligence
- Topic A: Deploy a Security Intelligence Collection and Analysis Platform
- Topic B: Collect Data from Network-Based Intelligence Sources
- Topic C: Collect Data from Host-Based Intelligence Sources
9 - Analyzing Log Data
- Topic A: Use Common Tools to Analyze Logs
- Topic B: Use SIEM Tools for Analysis
10 - Performing Active Asset and Network Analysis
- Topic A: Analyze Incidents with Windows-Based Tools
- Topic B: Analyze Incidents with Linux-Based Tools
- Topic C: Analyze Malware
- Topic D: Analyze Indicators of Compromise
11 - Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents
- Topic A: Deploy an Incident Handling and Response Architecture
- Topic B: Contain and Mitigate Incidents
- Topic C: Prepare for Forensic Investigation as a CSIRT
12 - Investigating Cybersecurity Incidents
- Topic A: Apply a Forensic Investigation Plan
- Topic B: Securely Collect and Analyze Electronic Evidence
- Topic C: Follow Up on the Results of an Investigation
13 - Appendix A: Mapping Course Content to CyberSec First Responder™ (Exam CFR-310)
14 - Appendix B: Regular Expressions
15 - Appendix C: Security Resources
16 - Appendix D: U.S. Department of Defense Operational Security Practices