You learned the rules of grammar in school, but now you'd like to refresh and refine your grammar usage for your professional life. You need to state your ideas clearly and concisely in written communications and present yourself in a professional manner. In this course, you will review the rules of grammar, identify common grammar errors, and refine your business writing style.
Improving your grammar will help you deliver polished and professional written communications. Correct grammar and a refined, concise writing style can help you clearly express your ideas to others, streamline the directions and instructions that you deliver, and create impressive presentations and reports.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for working professionals in various job roles, both native and non-native English speakers, who use formal and informal written communications in the course of business, and who seek to improve their grammar usage.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
• Examine nouns, pronouns, and verbs.
• Identify adjectives and adverbs.
• Identify prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
• Identify some important rules of grammar and some commonly made grammatical errors.
• Identify grammar rules regarding correct punctuation.
• Identify problematic sentence fragments, run-ons, and comma splices, as well as effective methods of rewriting sentences so that they are clear and complete.
• Identify methods for improving word choices.
• Identify methods for building effective sentences.
• Identify methods for editing text effectively.
1 - Identifying Nouns, Pronouns, and Verbs
- Identify Parts of Speech
- Identify Nouns
- Identify Pronouns
- Identify Verbs
2 - Identifying Adjectives and Adverbs
- Use Adjectives
- Use Adverbs
3 - Identifying Prepositions, Conjunctions, and Interjections
- Use Prepositions
- Use Conjunctions
- Use Interjections
4 - Identifying Rules
- Monitor Sentence Structure
- Monitor Modifiers
- Avoid Common Errors
5 - Identifying Correct Punctuation
- Use Parentheses Correctly
- Use Commas, Semicolons, Colons, Em Dashes, and Quotation Marks Correctly
- Use Numbers, Symbols, and Capitalization Correctly
6 - Identifying Sentence Fragments, Run-ons, and Comma Splices
- Identify and Resolve Sentence Fragments
- Identify Run-ons, Comma Splices, and Solutions
7 - Improving Word Choices
- Identify Commonly Misused Words
- Identify Synonyms, Antonyms, and Homonyms
8 - Building Effective Sentences
- Write with Purpose
- Consider the Audience
- Consider the Context
9 - Editing Effectively
- Use Correct Spelling
- Check Your Work