To further consolidate their certification portfolio around role-based credentials, Microsoft has announced the retirement of the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), Solutions Developer (MCSD), and Solutions Expert (MCSE) certifications. The retirement date for the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE is January 31st, 2021.
Please review the following questions and answers for more information. Also note that this information has been updated as of 3/26/2020 when Microsoft released information on certification extensions in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
Please review the following questions and answers for more information.
Why is Microsoft eliminating the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certifications?
Microsoft is making a significant shift in investment on their certification program to focus on job roles to better-align with industry and hiring trends, allowing users to keep pace with changes in technology and business needs. Microsoft’s role-based certifications will clearly state that you are Microsoft- certified in a job role and show the type (i.e. fundamentals, role-based, or specialty) and level (i.e. associate or expert) at which the certification sits in their framework.
What happens to the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certifications that I already have?
Nothing happens to the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certification that you already have; they remain on your certification transcript. The relevance of those certifications depends on your current (and future) job roles and how valuable that certification is to your manager and organization, and to the work that you do.
Can I still achieve the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certifications before they retire on June 30, 2020?
Yes, you can continue earning the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certifications as long as the required exams are still available. As we retire the exams that are part of those certification paths, you will no longer be able to earn those certifications.
Microsoft is retiring exams that lead to the MCSA, MCSD, and MCSE certification(s) that I am pursuing. What should I do?
Before the exams expire, you must pass all required exams which are a part of the MCSA, MCSD, or MCSE certification(s) that you are trying to achieve. If you pass the required exams before they expire, you will earn the certification and it will appear on your certification transcript.
If Microsoft is focused on role-based certifications, what happens to Windows Server and SQL Server certifications? Will there be Windows Server 2019 and SQL Server 2019 certifications available?
No, there will not be Windows Server 2019 and SQL Server 2019 certifications. Windows Server 2019 and SQL Server 2019 content will be included in role-based certifications on an as needed basis for certain job-roles in the Azure Apps & infra and Data and AI solution areas.
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certifications are product-based certifications. Will they be retired as a part of this?
No, MOS certifications are not being affected by this retirement.
Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certifications are product-based certifications. Will they be retired as a part of this?
No, MTA certifications are not being affected by this retirement.
Which certifications are scheduled to retire on January 31, 2021?
- MCSA: BI Reporting
- MCSA: Dynamics 365 for Operations
- MCSA: SQL 2016 BI Development
- MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Admin
- MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Dev
- MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014
- MCSA: Universal Windows Platform
- MCSA: Web Applications
- MCSA: Windows Server 2012
- MCSA: Windows Server 2016
- MCSD: App Builder
- MCSE: Business Applications
- MCSE: Core Infrastructure
- MCSE: Data Management & Analytics
- MCSE: Productivity
Which exams are scheduled to retire on January 31, 2021?
- 70-333: Deploying Enterprise Voice with Skype for Business 2015
- 70-334: Core Solutions for Microsoft Skype for Business 2015
- 70-339: Managing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2016
- 70-345: Designing and Deploying Microsoft Exchange Server 2016
- 70-457: Developing Mobile Apps
- 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
- 70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
- 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
- 70-413: Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure
- 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
- 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012
- 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
- 70-462: Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Databases
- 70-463: Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
- 70-464: Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Databases
- 70-465: Designing Database Solutions for Microsoft SQL Server
- 70-466: Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server
- 70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server
- 70-483: Programming in C#
- 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications
- 70-487: Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services
- 70-537: Configuring and Operating a Hybrid Cloud with Microsoft Azure Stack
- 70-705: Designing and Providing Microsoft Licensing Solutions to Large Organizations
- 70-740: Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016
- 70-741: Networking with Windows Server 2016
- 70-742: Identity with Windows Server 2016
- 70-743: Upgrading Your skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016
- 70-744: Securing Windows Server 2016
- 70-745: Implementing a Software-Defined Datacenter
- 70-761: Querying Data with Transact-SQL
- 70-762: Developing SQL Databases
- 70-764: Administering a SQL Database Infrastructure
- 70-765: Provisioning SQL Databases
- 70-767: Implementing a Data Warehouse using SQL
- 70-768: Developing SQL Data Models
- 70-777: Implementing Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Solutions
- 70-778: Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Microsoft Power BI
- 70-779: Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Microsoft Excel
- MB2-716: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customization and Configuration
- MB6-894: Development, Extensions and Deployment for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance
- MB6-897: Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Retail
- MB6-898: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Human Resources
Please Note: Course titles associated with the exams listed above are not necessarily retiring at the same time as the exams. Please contact your New Horizons representative for more information.